Consorzio Marittimo Turistico
Cinque Terre Golfo dei Poeti

  • Cinque Terre

    Cinque Terre

  • Cinque Terre Maritime Tourism Consortium

    Cinque Terre Maritime Tourism Consortium

  • Visit the Gulf of Poets

    Visit the Gulf of Poets

La Spezia

If one thinks of La Spezia, its naval history comes to mind. A connection that began in 1857 when Cavour made the city a Sardinian military base, and continued in 1861 when work began on the large arsenal, a bond that was completed in 1870 when the Naval Museum was transferred from Genoa to La Spezia. It's definitely worth a visit, as well as the museums that the city offers: the more important Amedeo Lia is located in the centre of the ancient Via Prione, and there are impresseive archaeological collections preserved in the Castello di San Giorgio overlooking the city. Before leaving La Spezia, you should taste the "mes-ciua", a typical soup made with different grains.

Click to enlarge.

Bocca di Magra

Bocca di Magra is known as a writers and intellectuals' haunt, for example Montale, Einaudi, Pavese and Vittorini had their summer residences here. For this reason it is included in the Cultural Park paths of the Val di Magra and the Luni area. In addition to traditional fishing activity, it has also developed tourism with the creation of docks and motorboat services for reaching small coves.


Click to englarge.

Lerici

Ancient "Erice"...was a source of contention between the Maritime Republics of Genoa and Pisa. Today, besides the amazing, fairy-tale landscape that inspired artists, writers and poets, buildings of exemplary beauty remain, such as the castle which is presently home to the Geo-palaeontology museum, located on the highest point of the bay, and the walls that surround the ancient city centre. The Chapel of St. Anastasia and the hexagonal tower are definitely worth seeing. Indulge in the sunset at the "Venere Azzurra" bay in S. Terenzo, ending your day spent at this pearl of the Gulf of Poets with a flourish.

Click to enlarge.

Portovenere

Picturesque seaside village from Roman times located on a rocky spur overlooking the emerald colour sea and framed by three islands "Palmaria, Tino and Tinetto" that have an almost unreal charm. Legend has it that the goddess of beauty was enchanted by such splendour. Visit the church of San Pietro (1277) on the promontory reached through the village, the Byron Grotto, the castle and the church of San Lorenzo. A definite pleasure to indulge in: a dinner of fresh fish on "the hillside" of a thousand shades.

Click to enlarge.

Riomaggiore (5 Terre)

A pearl of the Cinque Terre. Its origins date back to the late twelfth century. "Rivus Major:" the ancient name comes from the largest of the two rivers that cross the town. The descent to the sea is striking, between the typical coloured houses that seem to hold each other up, with the seaport and boats in the centre. From the small beach Fossola, to the left of the marina, you will find the "Torre Guardiola" equipped path, an extraordinary botanical and nature observation trail. Another unforgettable route is that of the "Via dell'amore (Love walk)" which connects to Manarola.

Click to enlarge.

Manarola (5 Terre)

The name almost certainly comes from "Manium Arula", most likely a temple dedicated to "hands" (the souls of the dead). Its port is overlooked by a ledge which is often cluttered by boats that seem to be suspended at the foot of a handful of houses of a thousand shades. The hill rises upward and embraces the ledges full of vines....a dry wine, white, tangy like the sea. These are the "Cinqueterre". Things to see are the town square, the church (1338) and opposite the church, the bell tower from the 1300s, used as a watchtower and for defense. If you are in Manarola during the Christmas season, don't miss Mario Andreoli's famous nativity scene on the hill.
Click to enlarge.

Corniglia (5 Terre)

The Roman settler Cornelius and his mother Cornelia are the first names that allude to Corniglia as it is today. The town used to extend southward, but serious landslides caused by the sea have caused several hill landslides, and it has today become a long cliff with a 365-step staircase, like the days in a year, that connects the town. The village, built around 1000, retains its charm with a series of stone houses and ancient portals of rare beauty. From the ledge, the furthest point of land overlooking the sea, we can admire the ancient valley of mills which is highly cultivated today. Go to Guvano beach for an amazing swim and don't miss "Stappamaggio" in May, the festival of "Sciacchetrà" (a sweet local wine).

Click to englarge.

Vernazza (5 Terre)

"Vulnetia" was the city's ancient Latin name, then "Vernaccia", and today Vernazza. It is a woven complex of "carruggi" (narrow alleys) and steep staircases which meet in the square by the sea, the centre of life in the village, with its the church dedicated to St. Margaret of Antioch which has its foundations in the sea; on the other side is the "castle": the structural complex, positioned on a rocky outcrop overlooking the sea, was a strategic point of defense from pirate raids.


Click to enlarge.

Monterosso (5 Terre)

"Rubra" is its ancient Latin name...which comes from the pink colouration of the mountains at sunset, or from "Refus", reddish haired Lord of the castle who lived on the hill. These are the explanations behind the name of this small fishing village which is today part of the "Cinque Terre National Park". Strolling in the historic centre between the "caruggi" (narrow alleys), you can lose yourself in a glass of "sciacchetrà" (sweet local wine) in a cellar, or take a stroll up to the ex-Convent of the Capuchin Friars, where you can admire a beautiful panorama. Going down the other side you reach the end of the village where you can admire the imposing sculpture from 1910 of "Neptune", commonly called the "Giant".

Click to enlarge.

Levanto

...agricultural, trading and maritime village, a tourist centre since the 1800s. A large town on the valley floor, called "the door of the Cinque Terre". The large bay has one of the largest beaches in the area and today it's a popular surfer destination. To the north is the wide valley, with large vineyards and olive groves and small settlements that make it similar to a large natural amphitheatre. Must sees are the church of St. Andrew (1226), the medieval loggia (1405), the old walls and the clock tower (1265). It would be a shame to leave Levanto without having first tasted the "gattafin" (a large ravioli with greens and cheese) or purchased the local olive oil, a wonderful product of this valley.

Click to enlarge.

Bonassola

A garden on the turquoise sea that can be reached from the Aurelia road, by train or by sea. A typical fishing village which is brightly coloured and crossed by narrow, cobbled "carruggi" (alleys) where local crafts come to life and give the village a retro feel, all framed within the crescent-shaped bay that offers a well-equipped beach for tourists. During the summer there are many events and concerts; must sees are the church on the promontory to the west of the village, situated along the panoramic road directly above the sea. There are several bars and restaurants for a drink or for a romantic candlelight dinner.
Click to enlarge.

Deiva Marina

One of the largest sandy beaches in Liguria, enclosed between two crowns of rocks, with its clear blue sea that has been repeatedly awarded the Blue Flag of Europe, a maze of completely free trails that creep into the Mediterranean, in the direction of Sestri Levante and Portofino, Levanto and the Cinque Terre. A respectable calling card for a location, Deiva Marina is strategically situated between the Cinque Terre and Portofino, connected to the most beautiful resorts of the Eastern Riviera by train and by a boat service that operates in the summer, with a toll booth on the A12 Genoa-Livorno motorway. Deiva Marina is the ideal place for those who love the sea and trekking.

Click to enlarge.

Sarzana

In addition to cultural tourism, the Sarzana area is also near the sea, with its small suburb Marinella, home to numerous beaches. It is a long sandy coast about 3 kilometres long, with alternating free beaches and concessions. The Sarzana coast is well-known and appreciated, both for its easy access and its proximity to major urban centres in the area. Luni can be reached on foot, a distinct archaeological area known above all for the remains of its great cavern and the National Archaeological Museum which displays artefacts found on site. Don't miss visiting Sarzana with its medieval atmosphere.

Click to enlarge.

Lunimare

On the border between Liguria and Tuscany, in the municipality of Ortonovo (SP), Luni can be found on the banks of the Magra River. An ancient Italian city, it was founded in the early second century BC and was known for its harbour in Roman times, from which ships loaded with marble of the Apuan Alps departed. Archaeological excavations have given light to the town's main urban phases, which clearly appears as a Castrensian system with a large east-west decumannus (one of the two 'main streets' found in all towns planned by ancient Romans) formed by Via Aurelia and large north-south cardus which connected the forum to the port area. The amphitheatre dates back to the age of Antonini. The crypt of S. Marco (VIII-IX century), the bell tower and the apse of St. Mark's Romanesque Cathedral all still remain from the medieval times. We recommend visiting the archaeological museum, built in 1964, located in the centre of the ancient city of Luni which is located in an archaeological zone, and contains artifacts that were unearthed during the excavations of the ancient Roman city.

Click to enlarge.

NAVIGAZIONE GOLFO DEI POETI | 13, Via Don Giovanni Minzoni - 19121 La Spezia (SP) - Italia | P.I. 00884760117 | Tel. +39 0187 732987 | info@navigazionegolfodeipoeti.it | Legal information | Privacy | Cookie Policy | Sitemap
Powered by  Pagine Gialle  -  SmartSite